Friday, June 03, 2005

Fair thee well, mine couch and desk...

'Tis indeed a sad day as I bid farewell to my couch and computer desk. With the impending move ahead, I came to the realization that there simply would not be enough room for all of our furniture. So, I volunteered my larger pieces for sacrifice. At first, I thought there was a possibility that my parents would take them for me, but they decided they either didn't have room in their house or didn't like the idea of used furniture. Not used by me, but by whoever used them before I found them in that Goodwill store long ago.

I won't go into the boring details of their eventual departure, but it was certainly bittersweet to see the first real furniture I've ever owned go away. There so many memories of naps, TV, movies and video games associated with the couch, especially, a lot of cups of chocolate tea. While I will miss it, there will be other couches. The desk didn't leave as much of a mark with me, but I hope it finds a good loving home. All desks deserve that.

On another note, I had breakfast with my family this morning. My nephew, son of my younger sister, was adorable. However, he was very energetic. I kind of feel sorry for my sister; she seems so tired, but she just loves him so much that it doesn't bother her. He can walk now, and that guy will take off if you don't watch him. He had his first birthday a couple of months ago. It's going to be really weird to not get to see him get bigger in the next year. I don't even know exactly when I'll get to see my family once we're over in North Carolina, let alone any of my friends from college. That's life, they say.

In closing, I like Gundam Seed. I like Macross. I can't wait for the movie "Serenity" based on the short lived tv series "Firefly" to hit theaters. What I want to see more than anything this summer is "Howl's Moving Castle," the newest animated film from Studio Ghibli and the awesome Hayao Miyazaki. If you enjoyed Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Castle in the Sky, and Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, then you know what "Moving Castle" will be like. It's very much what Disney studios should be striving and really let their imaginations go completely wild, taking the rest of us for a great ride.

Come on, ow can someone deny the humor of a six foot tall baby getting turned into a gerbil that is carried around by a fly. Yes, I'm a nerd. : )

1 Comments:

Blogger Annita said...

Yes yes, it's sad that the incredibly stained couch that we once shared that only cost $4.79 is now in the dumpster. With the $4.50 dumping cost, the couch was officially worth $9.29. Not bad for a place to sit. Good thing we had that couch cover to take the attention off of the actual color of the couch. Nice blue cover. The desk could have used some TLC but we never got around to it. It wasn't really worth it anyway. I'm sure you'll see your family. Once you're making the big bucks, you'll see your family atleast once every 3 months. I would suggest to your sister to take pictures of her baby and send them to you. That way you can see how he develops! You're still his cool Uncle Ki and you always will be:-).

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home