Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Overqualified or underexperienced?

Well, I have been job searching for the last four weeks, and last week I decided to consider sales positions, in retail no less. The main difference between retail in this area versus retail in my old region of residence is the number businesses in this area that appeal to me. At the moment, I have two very promising posibilities as a salesperson/cashier in large bookstores. These are nationwide chains that contain within their structures well over a hundred thousand items, the most of which are books of course but also include movies and music and accessories, and a coffee shops with seating areas.

I should hear back from them by Friday, but the wait is agravating. It's easier to just start working than waiting to find out if you will be. The functional term is IF. Although I am very confident about officially being offered these positions, I know better than to keep my hopes up.

Why am I having a hard time finding a position? Any position? Four weeks? Well, up until last week I have only been applying for very specific positions that fit perfectly into my interests and skills. However, no one was responding or calling for interviews, as if I expected the potential employers to have my phone ringing off of its wireless hook. From the follow-ups, I have discovered that the very same thing that was preventing me from getting any of my "desired" positions in Klamath Falls are at the very root of my not getting them here. There are basically three.

First, I am overqualified. This isn't to say that the work is below me, not at all, but certain employers are skeptical as to how long I would plan to remain as their employee. To a certain point, they're right. Of course, not too many people wish to live out their lives serving caffeinated or fruit beverages at low low prices. There is an inconvenience in having to search for a new employee, find one, and then have that employee leave after only a few months to "pursue better things." Well, I am where I want to be right now, so I'm not going anywhere. Also, I possess many skills, but they have been refined in a different environment outside of office/administration/marketing/sales/retail.

Second, and this is the most commonly used reason though rarely said verbatum, I am unexperienced. I've spent my life as a student, a professional student, doing little else that wasn't directly related to my major or within the music department. This makes me an undesirable because experience in those specific environments for which I've been applying hones the very skills that I already have. All I ever needed was an entry position. But no one would let me in. To put it bluntly, if I was going to get anywhere, I had to get out of Klamath Falls first. It's a nice town, but like hundreds if not thousands of others it is not a place to go to continue growing. It's a place to settle. It's where you go when you've gone out and accomplished what you wanted to accomplished and are ready to plant yourself in one place. I'm not ready to do that in that town. I've already lived there and I have everything I need from it.

So, if I didn't have any real work experience in the fields in which I wanted to WORK, it was because I was literally stuck. I have practically no experience and I am obviously not someone planning to stick around. The only way out was to just pick up and leave, find someplace where I COULD grow. In terms of my life, this was an inevitable step if I am to pursue my passion to expand my boundaries. Yes, we are all in greater control of our destinies than any of us would believe, and yet we have no control of our destinies. It's really the paths we choose to take, and who we trust to take with us that gives us control.

The happiest people I've met have learned when to let go and when to hold on. This is actually a very difficult skill for so many of us. Consider the number arguments we end up that never needed to take place, all the scars we bare when we never needed to be cut, and all the tears we cry when we all should be laughing. How odd is it that so little separates sobbing and laughing? Seriously.

...

I am so much happier now than I was three years ago, or even two. How is everyone else?

1 Comments:

Blogger Annita said...

I can relate on so many levels on the "feeling stuck" thing. I feel so much freer that I've ever felt living where we used to live. I don't feel nearly as chlostrophobic as I once did. Our minds are able to expand with our surroundings. That is a wonderful place to start. Where there are many opportunities that lie ahead. All you have to do is seek them out. And you will. You have the will and the drive to do it. Glad you got out of Klamath Falls for more reasons than one:-).

5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home